Super Spread Sheet S³

Or little computing tricks and hacks

Ubuntu upgrade and texlive

Havoc started when I attempted to upgrade from 12.04 to 13.04. Due to the trip and the subsequent settling, somehow my computer was stucked at 12.04. When 13.04 was released, I started the upgrade, which needed to be one step at a time: 12.04 to 12.10 and then 12.10 to 13.04.

The first step worked fine, but texlive did not want to be installed properly.
Screenshot from 2013-05-15 15:11:04

I decided to leave it and worry about it after the second step. The latter proved a bit trickier. First some applications doing the upgrade just stopped working:
Screenshot from 2013-05-15 17:37:45
Screenshot from 2013-05-15 17:39:56

and then the upgrade just stopped:
Screenshot from 2013-05-15 18:24:59
so, panic ensued.

After
dpkg --config -a
ran, a message popped up claiming that the upgrade was finished. And when running the software updater, it requested rebooting. The first time it didn’t bootstrapped. It ran in circles. I had to hard turned off the computer. The second time, after a long boot, it worked, with some errors. I rebooted several times and it seemed fine.

On to texlive. That proved trickier.

There seems to be something broken in the latest package downloaded from the repositories: some missing or wrong dependencies. I tried a clean installation, as in removing everything and downloading again, just to find the same problems. I even tried different repositories. This is the log of events:

The
sudo apt-get install texlive-base
command produced the following errors:

Processing triggers for install-info ...
Processing triggers for mime-support ...
Setting up tex-common (3.15) ...
update-language-dat: cannot read /etc/texmf/hyphen.d/00tex.cnf
update-language-dat: if it was removed by accident, it has to be reinstalled with
update-language-dat: t=$(mktemp -d); cd $t; apt-get download tex-common ; dpkg -i --force-confmiss tex-common*.deb
dpkg: error processing tex-common (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fonts-lmodern:
fonts-lmodern depends on tex-common (>= 3); however:
Package tex-common is not configured yet.

and that repeated to all the packages until the installation aborted with too many errors.
So now, the index was broken and could not remove not install texlive. I had to manually remove the packages and re-download.

I ran then
t=$(mktemp -d); cd $t; apt-get download tex-common ; dpkg -i --force-confmiss tex-common*.deb
and reinstalled. Certain blogs and forums claimed that the error was due to the lack of texlive-latex-base and installing will fix the problem. It did not for me as it was already installed. I reinstalled just in case:
apt-get install --resinstall texlive-latex-base
By getting the installation through, I moved on to the the next problem. Xetex itself was not installing:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall texlive-xetex
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/6,530 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 314365 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace texlive-xetex 2012.20120611-5 (using .../texlive-xetex_2012
.20120611-5_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement texlive-xetex ...
Setting up texlive-xetex (2012.20120611-5) ...
Running mktexlsr. This may take some time... done.
config file /etc/texmf/fmt.d/10texlive-xetex.cnf not available

Without further ado, I just found a copy of the missing config file and reinstalled.

I also ran into this problem when running xetex:

xelatex letter
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-0.9998 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
restricted \write18 enabled.

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!
make: *** [all] Error 1

So I tried to regenerate the format files with
sudo mktexlsr
or
sudo fmtutil-sys --all
or
sudo mktexfmt -fmtdir /var/lib/texmf/web2c/xetex xelatex.fmt
or
update-fmtutil /etc/texmf/fmt.d/
and nothing. So I manually looked for the file

/etc/texmf/fmt.d/10texlive-xetex.cnf

and put it the right place and reinstalled xetex… Next problem.

(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/libertine-legacy/eu1fxl.fd)kpathsea: Invalid fontname `[fxlr', contains '['

! Font EU1/fxl/m/n/10=[fxlr.otf]:Ligatures=TeX:+ccmp;+locl;+mark;+mkmk;+kern;+l
iga;+clig;+trep;+tlig at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or installed fo
nt not found.

relax
l.12 \begin{document}

And this we figured was a package problem with the libertine font. Sure enough, that font is now depricated and we are to use

libertineotf.

I am still cleaning up and checking things but that is all I have for now.

All of the information in this post has been taken from:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: